Saturday 10 January 2009

Development - Day 5

5 days in, much has changed. I am no longer in Caracas, I no longer live in a apartment, I am no longer feeling...Comfortable, I now have 2 brothers and 1 sister and way more.

I was starting to feel 'at home' in Caracas, and I was starting to get along with and talk to Sophie, a German Exchange student. On the other hand, I was tired of the mother who was just another rich snob (there are many here), she wasn't even Venezuelan!

But regardless, I've now moved to Valencia, another major city. I'm in a house here, it is very small, but it is very nice. I share a room with my 16 year old brother.
First thing we did when we got home, myself and David went to see his friends, they are loco! All really nice guys, but crazy...Ironically I felt much safer in Caracas then I do when I am with them!
It was incredibly hard and frustrating for all of us, I couldn't understand them, they couldn't understand me. It was hard. A couple of English speakers came along, which was a huge help, but the others insisted on talking to me in Spanish! I guess I will learn quickly.

So we all hung out for a few hours, I showed them some flips (which they insisted on calling parkour) and taught them a few vaults and such. We went to the movies afterwards, there were 8 of us, in one 5 seated car, no one bothers with seat belts here, but the way people drive? Seatbelts? Cars should be built with roll cages and eject buttons! None the less, we got there alive! For ages we hung out waiting for the movie, still trying to communicate, and being...Relatively successful considering the circumstances. Watched the movie "La platano" or The Marsh, it was a 'scary' movie, but the acting was shocking so it was quite funny.
After, we went to get food, the girls ate but most of us didn't yet, we hung around, by this stage I was absolutely exhausted, physically, but mainly mentally, and just didn't bother talking much, except to the English speakers.

6 of us jumped back in the car and went to get some hamburguesas and Nestea Icetea, which EVERYONE drinks EVERYWHERE. the hamburger was massive, beef, chicken, bacon, egg, lettuce, plain chips (!?!?!), and loads of other stuff. The Nestea tasted like dirt (it doesn't usually, just from this one) and I'm pretty sure something was not right, had wicked travel sickness afterwards. Anyway, went home afterwards, chilled for a bit, then went home with David.

As you can probably tell by the lack of detail, I'm absolutely exhausted, so much has happened since day 2, and probably as much as everyday has happened today.
I'm tired.
I'm going to sleep.
Thus concludes my first day feeling homesick/culture shock.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to break your comment virginity... apart from that one random guy a few days ago... Anyway, not my fault no-one has been commenting, I've been in Sydney :P.

So, hope you're having fun; I'll try comment/get other people to comment here more often.

Timmeh

James Wise said...

Glad to see you're having a good time - stay safe man, I wanna catch up when you are back =]