Thursday 5 March 2009

The Long and Winding Road - Day ¿?

Well it has been a long time since I updated...not through lack of activity, but I have been keeping a hand written journal instead. I am going to make another post about Parkour and training, and in this post about everything else.

Some interesting progressions with the exchange experience, I have chosen to shorten my program to 6 months, which means I will be returning late June. This is for a few reasons, the main reason is to concrete my place in University, there is always the chance that I won’t be given my Year 12 certificate while I am here, and returning 6 months early gives me flexibility to do a few classes if I need to, or if University is completely out of the question, I can look into doing a CIT course to link in to University, or another option. Some of the other reasons include; I hopefully will be able to stand for State Representative for ACT parkour, I will be able to save some money for my University fees, build up to restarting parkour classes, and generally just prepare for the next few years. I mean, if I remain here for the full 12 months, I arrive home in Late December, then I have to prepare for uni, get a job or two, get back into the Parkour classes, and generally get back into the swing of things, and I would have next to know time for that, and that is assuming I get into University.

Anyway, long story short, I have decided to return early, I have my reasons, and I believe it is a much better option.Something I hear a lot here, demasiado, is that I should go out more. Perhaps...I should...I DO spend a lot of time in the house, or just in the suburb. For many, perhaps most, being an exchange student is all about getting out, partying, having fun, making new friends, etc. etc. That is the primary focus.But I have found it a much more internal journey, of course I don’t mind partying, fun and friends, of course, and of course it is an inner journey for all exchange students on some level. But they are in the backseat, for me this is a mental and spiritual journey. And the amount of progress I have made already...Well If I was to return tomorrow I would be happy with my experience. However, the extra time will concrete the things I have (and still am) learning.

The time I spend in the house is spent studying my interests, learning, discovering things about myself. It’s all bettering me, and broadening my knowledge and understanding of myself and the world around me.So, no matter what the people say, my exchange experience is being lived to the fullest, just in a less obvious way, a way that many around me cannot see.

Anyway, I am done with writing here, on to Parkour (in the following post).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you're happy with your decision smelly!

xoxo Bishy