Friday 7 November 2008

Natural training

Me and Conan went out training today at Coppins Crossing for some natural stuff.

It was Very very very epic fun. Did some sprints through the bramble-covered, rocky, thick, bush. Excellent for keeping mental focus while running, really worked my ankles as well. So we did those for a while and found our way to the water where we did some precisions and what have you. We found a good cat precision on a dead tree which was fun. Ummm, did some more bush sprints, found our way to my usual sprint, did that, then I went straight from the run into the free-climb. Once we got up to the top, we sat and admired the view, talked, rested.
We headed back down and jogged back a bit slower. I went swimming briefly in my trackies...Water was nice. We headed back to the car and that was it! All up about a solid hour and a half of training.

I really feel that my natural stuff is looking good, I'm getting really agile, very fast through the unpredictable surfaces, and I'm starting to be able to correct my courses or stop very quickly if I need to. I reallly enjoy training out there, it's very different to the city.



In other news I have quit as a Parkour instructor for several reasons,
1. The people I am teaching at class aren't commited to it and don't really care if they get good or not
2. I can spend my time better training than wasting it on people who aren't going to try to progress
3. The few people that DO want to learn, Adam, Justin, Larkin, etc. come to other trainings anyway, I've taught more commited people at the casual sessions than I ever have at classes.



Up until now my stance has been that although I don't enjoy instructing, I have an obligation to help spread the correct teaching of Parkour. I now realise that the 'correct teaching of Parkour' is not through a structured class.

In my opinion, the use of Parkour is just an added bonus to much of our training, but the trianing its self trains so much more, general movement, confidence, self discipline, it teaches you about yourself in so many ways, these things are far more valuable than the Parkour its self. All classes do is cut out all that and focus on just the Parkour. But without the other elements, you will never progress.

- That reads like a dogs breakfast, but I hope you understand what I mean by all that.

No comments: